Saturday, March 5, 2016

In Re Ann Althouse the SWPL

I quit reading Ann Althouses's blog about a year ago because of the lameness of her SWPL bullshit, which while well researched and compelling at times, is still lefty SWPL bullshit after all. When I was setting up my new notebook PC last week I decided to give Althouse another look and saw that while she now moderates her commenters better (so that every post doesn't immediately devolve into a flame war), her writing is more obnoxiously SWPLy than ever.

'Yes," says Althouse, "I still read the NYT. Get over it, people. I read the NYT. I also read another thing a lot of you don't want me reading: The New Yorker." Yeah, okay, well I read the NYT and the New Yorker too, but with an eye toward doing opposition research or out of sheer boredom more than anything else. Before I took my hiatus from Althouse I already thought that she relied on the East Coast print media way too much for my comfort, but now she's kinda off the scale.

As well, one of her son's wants to increase the following for his blog and so she quotes him very liberally, and he seems to be a young lefty SWPL and so in doing so Althouse skews her writing to agree with him a lot, perhaps? I dunno I have never read his stuff except for what Althouse quotes in her blog, so that's just conjecture.

 I became acquainted with Althouse's blog way back in the day when the now defunct PC Magazine published a list of the 100 Best Blogs, blogs then being the big new thing in media, and I liked what she wrote both because of its cultural literacy and her bona fides as a University of Wisconsin law professor, her debut coming at a time when the Dan Rathers of this world dismissed bloggers as fat, basement-dwelling, losers in their pajamas whose writing was of no consequence. I hope junior gets his readership up so that Althouse can get her groove back, or failing that, I can go back to ignoring her.

No comments:

Post a Comment